Customer Care Support: info@healthcoachafrica.com

  +2347065335797   17 Osinowo Street, Ikosi Ketu, Lagos

Dangerous TikTok Trend: Drinking Borax Raises Health Concerns

A concerning trend has emerged on the social media platform TikTok, where individuals are ingesting borax cleaning powder under the belief that it offers health benefits. While proponents claim that borax can alleviate health issues such as joint pain and inflammation, medical experts are sounding the alarm, cautioning that this practice can have grave repercussions, including death.

Borax, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, and disodium tetraborate, is a commonly used household cleaner and laundry detergent booster. However, it has found a new and perilous role as a supposed health remedy among TikTok users.

The rationale behind this trend appears rooted in the belief that boron, a component of borax, carries health benefits. Supporters contend that borax consumption can provide relief from conditions like arthritis pain and hormone imbalances. Some even suggest that a secretive agenda is suppressing this information to drive pharmaceutical sales.

It is interesting to note that while boron is indeed a natural element in our diet, borax supplies toxic levels of this substance. The human diet typically provides sufficient boron through the consumption of fruits and vegetables.

Though boron supplements are marketed for bone and joint health, scientific backing for their efficacy remains scant. In fact, excessive intake of boron, whether from borax or supplements, can potentially lead to harm rather than benefits.

The dangers associated with consuming borax lie in its toxic properties. Boron readily forms compounds like boric acid, commonly employed as a pesticide. Household formulations of borax are explicitly unsuitable for human consumption due to the presence of boron, which, when ingested in large amounts as in the TikTok trend, can result in severe health issues, even fatal outcomes.

Symptoms of borax ingestion, include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalances. Inhalation of borax particles can irritate the respiratory tract, causing breathing difficulties. Prolonged and excessive consumption can lead to kidney and liver damage, seizures, confusion, and even coma.

Medical professionals strongly discourage this dangerous trend and advise immediate action if borax consumption is suspected. In case of ingestion, Poison Control should be contacted promptly through their online platform or by phone. The manufacturer of borax, 20 Mule Team Borax, has also issued a statement on Facebook, urging people to avoid drinking their product and discouraging its use in skin-related “detox bath” trends.

In conclusion, the TikTok trend of drinking borax is not only unsupported by scientific evidence but is also perilous to health. Immediate cessation and seeking professional assistance are strongly recommended for those who have engaged in this hazardous practice.

Source: Healthline

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Healthcoach’s aim is to see an Africa where every person has access to reliable health information and advice to live a healthy and happy life

Need Help?

Call or text +2347065335797

Email us info@healthcoachafrica.com

2 Shiffau Crescent, Off Osinowo Street, Ikosi-Ketu, Lagos, Nigeria.

 

Follow Us

© 2023 HubCare Global Ltd. All rights reserved. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Healthcoach does not provide medical advice, diagnosis and treatment.

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Complain Policy